Bedlam and chaos in the Butterfield house, which has been certified as experiment in rapid entropy.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Relaxing Weekend Doing Nothing

Well, okay, the title of today's blog is slightly sarcastic...
There's been a big dog-sized hole in the house this last month, and remembering that before Cinder got sick we had been thinking it was time for a second dog - one that liked the little guys too - we started to talk about what kind of dog we'd like. Geoff and C & R really wanted a lab, but I really loved having a border collie. We said, "what we really need is a lab/border collie mix!"

Lo and behold, we went online to the border collie rescue site, and they had exactly that - a young dog (1 1/2), "friendly like a lab, smart like a border collie"... Wow! The only hitch was, the rescue folks in Chico really wanted us to come and see him this weekend. It was Carson who said, "no problem! We can go to Chico on our way to go skiing, after we hunt Easter Eggs! It's only three more hours..." And so we did.

But I get ahead of myself. Saturday night, Geoff and I did much of the same drive, to a dinner at Tony & Lisa's house in Sacramento. I tried and tried to figure out a way that we could stay there, and the kids could hide and then hunt their own eggs, then join us the next day, but no matter how hard I wrapped my brain around it, I had no luck. But it was worth it - we got to have dinner with old friends (and no kids!) and make plans for future rafting trips into the bargain. We saw Kris and Larry (former proprietors of the world-famous Nugestead), John & Bonnie, Daniel & Donna and their daughter Maya. (See Larry - now you're on a blog again! - how does it feel?)

So Sunday morning, it was Easter Egg hunting in the back and then straight into the car for the three hour drive to Chico. No sweat! Geoff and Will left earlier to go see the campus at Chico, I took Carson & Reed, and Satchel stayed home so that he could find the wallet I'd forgotten to put in my pocket, thereby saving my neck! We got to Chico, met the dog (currently "Wishbone" but we're taking name suggestions, and planning a vote this weekend), got acquainted, and hopped back in the cars to head home (Geoff & Will & dog) and skiing (Maya, Carson & Reed).

Wow! So we drove to Kyburz, where we were joined by my wallet (and Satchel) and our neighbors Kathy, Nick & Natalie. Monday was skiing - glorious, glorious skiing. It was sunny (say it aint so!), and the snow was nice, and it wasn't too horribly crowded, and the kids all had fun - couldn't have been nicer, except that I really missed having my mom holding a table for us in the lodge. But you can't have everything. Though apparently, you CAN try to fit everything into one weekend!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

;)

A new dog huh? Well he/she looks very friendly and game for a house full of boys. I don't have any name suggestions...

March 27, 2008 at 10:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home