Bedlam and chaos in the Butterfield house, which has been certified as experiment in rapid entropy.

Sunday, March 2, 2008

"Gotta Love CalTrans" - and Other Bits & Pieces


CalTrans in action. They're doing major construction on the freeway just outside my mom's house, and the tunnel that goes the freeway from her street is closed for 6 months. So Caltrans put up these very helpful signs for the 9 houses on her street (there's one more sign that's not in the picture.) Zoom in and look at the arrows, and you'll see why these make my day every time I'm there.

Reed has lost his first two teeth, and it's looking like the tooth fairy will be going broke soon, as he has more that are wiggly. Reed is lucky, being the youngest - the tooth fairy has finally figured out how to find our house on the first night! It only took three older brothers for her to get her routine figured out... I've been told it "really sucked" when she couldn't find our street in years past...

This is finally the weekend of Carson's school play. He told me that he didn't think he'd make it - thought he wouldn't like it and would drop out - but that he's actually having a lot of fun. I got to volunteer as a "shussher" backstage for two shows. What joy! It's a two-hour play, with 87 kids in it, in a funky little local theatre where the audience can hear everything that goes on backstage, because it's really only separated by curtains and some plywood. We "shusshers" were busy, and, surprisingly, not well liked by the kids! Can you imagine? ;-)

Still, it was fun to see them put the show on, and how well it all turned out in the end. It was quite a slog to get there, but the show all came together quite well and some of those kids are so talented! Not all, mind you - but I really admire the ones who aren't talented, but still get out there on stage in front of an audience and do their best.

Yesterday was so busy & complicated that I actually had to write down a schedule of who was going where, in which car, and giving a ride to who else. I was really proud that I made it work out! I won't bore you with the details, but it was a thing of logistical beauty. And let's not get into what it says about my life that I'm proud of working out a schedule involving 8 people, 5 cars, two shows of a play, a job and an SAT test...

1 Comments:

Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

Well, at least you have detour signs! We just get the barricades...

Reed looks great with the missing teeth...and I'm glad to hear the Tooth Fairy finds your house, she always got lost on the way to our as well! (snowstorms and very bust nights!)

I can just imagine you as a shussher. Did you get a name tag? "Maya Butterfield - Shussher", you could put it on your resume along with transportation logistics coordinator.

So..is Carson one of the talented ones? Somehow I can imagine that he might be. I remember watching the class plays at the kid's school- you could definitely spot the ones who had potential at an early age!

Sure is nice to hear about "normal" adventures! Much love to all!

March 2, 2008 at 7:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home